We now have our delicious grass-fed grass-finished beef back in stock! A variety of beef cuts are currently available. Review our price list for availability. Order in advance or swing by the Los Ranchos Growers Market on Saturday to reserve your birthday steak or check out our beef selection.
We always celebrate with beef steak, especially on our birthdays! Even though our beef is dry-aged for 14-21 days, we typically further wet-age steaks in the fridge for a week or more before cooking, although 3-4 days is sufficient. This process enhances tenderness and truly brings out the flavors. It’s also exciting to select the steak ahead of the special day and eagerly await that juicy and delicious beef. For some time now, we’ve considered birthday steak as a treat and birthday cake as a punishment. Of course, feel free to indulge in a guilt-free slice of birthday cake if you prefer.
- 2 of your favorite beef steaks
- 1 tablespoon Bariani olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Kenny’s New Mexico spice rub or salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons butter divided
Pan Sauce (optional but worth it-afterall, it’s your birthday!)
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried), more to taste
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary chopped, (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 3 tablespoons beef broth
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat a large cast iron or stainless steel skillet over medium-high heat.
- Rub steaks with olive oil and generously season. Brown 2-3 minutes per side and place the pan in the oven.
- Bake 10-15 minutes or until steaks reach the desired doneness. Remove steaks from the skillet and rest at least 5 minutes while making the sauce.
- If making sauce, add 1 tablespoon butter, garlic, rosemary and thyme to the pan. Stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add beef broth and simmer 2 minutes while scraping any bits off the bottom. Stir in cream and simmer 2-3 minutes more.
- Top steaks with remaining butter and serve with sauce.
- If your steaks are thin (under 1″), you will need less cook time.
- Ensure frozen steaks are completely thawed.
- Remove steaks from refrigerator and allow to come to room temperature. Sit out for 30 minutes before cooking.
- Preheat the pan to ensure it’s very hot before browning the steaks.
- Use a meat thermometer and be sure not to overcook.
- Rare – cool, red center – internal temp at 125° F.
- Medium Rare – warm, red center – internal temp at 135° F.
- Medium – warm, pink center – internal temp of 145° F.
- Medium Well – slightly pink center – internal temp of 150° F.
- Well Done – little or no pink – internal temp of 160°F
- Do not press on steaks as they cook, this presses out the juices.
- Once cooked remove the steak from the pan to rest. If you leave it in the pan, it will continue cooking.
- As with all meats, rest steaks at leat 5-10 minutes before cutting.
Happy Birthday! 🎉🥩
Kenny & Brenna