Asian-Style Beef Kebabs with Cabbage Slaw
Delicious! Use beef sirloin steak!
- 1/2 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 pounds top sirloin steak trimmed and cubed into 1 1/2 inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds shiitake mushrooms stemmed, halved if large
- 1 large red onion quartered through root end, each quarter cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/2 head napa cabbage cored and shredded (5 1/2 cups)
- Salt and pepper
- Whisk hoisin, soy sauce, 2 tablespoons oil, ginger, garlic, and pepper flakes together in medium bowl; set aside 2 tablespoons hoisin mixture in large bowl. Add beef to remaining hoisin mixture in bowl and toss to coat. Thread beef, mushrooms, and onion evenly onto eight 12-inch metal skewers, then brush each skewer with leftover hoisin mixture in bowl.
- Add vinegar and cilantro to bowl with reserved hoisin mixture. Whisk in remaining 1 tablespoon oil until incorporated. Add cabbage, toss to coat, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grill kebabs, covered, over hot fire, turning as needed, until lightly charred on all sides and meat registers 130 to 135 degrees F (for medium), about 10 minutes. Transfer kebabs to platter, tent with aluminum foil, and let rest for 5 minutes before serving with slaw.
Adapted from America's Test Kitchen