Alaska Seafood Tom Yum
Makes 4 servings, prep time 10 minutes with a cook time of 15 minutes.
- 1 quart seafood/fish stock
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 to 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 lemongrass stalk light part only, crushed
- 2 round slices of ginger about 1/2 inch thick, peeled
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 pound Pacific cod filets
- 1 cup straw or crimini mushrooms sliced
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2 Thai chili peppers sliced into rounds
- 1 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 lime cut in wedges
- In a large (12-inch) pan or stockpot, cook stock, water, fish sauce, lemongrass, ginger and garlic over medium-high heat for 5 minutes. Turn off heat and gently add mushrooms and seafood, skin side down, to liquid. Return heat to a simmer.
- Once simmering, cover pan and cook 4 to 5 minutes for frozen seafood or 2 minutes for fresh/thawed fish. Turn off heat and let seafood rest 5 minutes or until seafood is opaque throughout.
- Remove lemongrass and ginger slices. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Portion seafood and broth into bowls. Serve with chile pepper slices, cilantro and lime wedge.
We prefer a mix of keta salmon and pacific cod for this recipe!